A huge thanks to fellow recreation professional Jaclyn E. for the following submission:
“Here are some Edmonton Zone resources that I use on a regular basis: (Here is a document that lists many more disease-specific associations)”
- Brain Care Centre – Brain Care Centre offers programs and services at no cost to adults (18+) who have sustained an acquired brain injury and their families. Services are offered from Edmonton and area to the communities along Highway 16 from Stony Plain all the way to Jasper with offices in Edmonton and Edson. Through service coordination, counselling, occupational therapy, electronic device training, and volunteer programs Brain Care Centre strives to empower others to Defy Limitations! http://www.braincarecentre.com/about-us/index.php
- Leisure Access Program – The Leisure Access Program (LAP) allows eligible low-income Edmontonians to access participating City of Edmonton recreation facilities through an annual pass or a subsidized monthly pass.https://www.edmonton.ca/programs_services/leisure-access-program.aspx
- AMA Seniors Transportation Information – https://ama.ab.ca/knowledge-base/articles/ama-seniors-transportation-resource-guide/
- A Guide to Mobility and Independence – A Comprehensive Listing of Essential Services and Transportation Providers in Edmonton and Outlying Communities (7th Edition) 2016 http://www.mard.ualberta.ca/Resources/~/media/mard/Mobility_Guide_7th_Edition_Feb_8.pdf
- Canadian Paraplegic Association of AB – Our primary focus is responding to the needs of persons with SCI, their families and care giving networks. Where feasible, we extend services to others with related physical disabilities, particularly those living with mobility impairments. http://sci-ab.ca/
- The Pride Centre of Edmonton – http://pridecentreofedmonton.org/
- The Steadward Centre – Through the development of research and the dissemination of knowledge through education our vision is to support independence and inclusion of children, youth and adults living with impairments in their communities by inspiring:
- Excellence and leadership
- Achievements in personal fitness, motor skill development and athletic performance
- Meaningful, innovative and applied advancements in adapted physical activity
- Passion for learning and discovery: http://www.steadwardcentre.ualberta.ca/
- There are also many seniors centres around Edmonton. Here is a document that lists the centres as well as the Outreach Coordinator at each site.
- Edmonton Public Library – they offer many free programs https://www.epl.ca/
I have added these links to the resource pages for future reference. Thanks Jaclyn!!